This position is supported by Service Canada’s Summer Jobs Program and
is an 8 week position starting July 9, 2018. Application deadline is Monday June 25th, 2018 at 5:00 pm ET.
Applications from people living with HIV are particularly welcome.
The Service Canada Summer Jobs Program is intended to create summer job opportunities for young people aged 15 to 30 years who are full-time students intending to return to their studies in the next school year. Applicants must, therefore, fit these eligibility criteria.
Realize is a national charitable organization working to improve the quality of life of people living with HIV and related conditions through rehabilitation research, education, and cross-sector partnerships. Our members are individuals and organizations that have an interest in HIV, disability and rehabilitation. These include: community-based HIV/AIDS, disability and rehabilitation organizations; national professional associations and individual clinicians; unions; private-sector companies; people living with HIV and other disabilities; health care, social care and human resources professionals; and other people who are interested in HIV, disability and rehabilitation.
Realize focuses on four key areas for people living with HIV and other episodic disabilities: HIV and aging, HIV and rehabilitation, labour force participation and income support, and mental health, which are all important components to overall well-being.
The governance of Realize is undertaken through a national volunteer Board of Directors. The overall operational work of Realize is managed by an Executive Director in consultation with the Board of Directors and national membership. Realize was formed in 1998 and its office is located in Toronto.
Overview of This Position
The successful candidate will work with the Manager, Episodic Disabilities Initiatives on activities related to supporting people living with HIV and other episodic disabilities in achieving employment and/or income security. Other duties may include assisting with administration, research, and communications.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Provide direct support at project events as required
- Provide supports to various committees, including taking meeting minutes
- Assist with coordination of training and educational sessions
- Work with the Manager, Episodic Disabilities Initiatives to complete all project activities
- Complete special projects as needed
- Assist in the analysis of data for trends and issues
- Assist with the review of published and grey literature as required for project activities
- Assist with developing hard copy and electronic information resources as required for project activities
- Assist in the preparation of articles, reports and papers for professional conferences and journals
- Assist with monitoring the Episodic Disability Employment Network website regularly for adherence to community standards, to respond to questions posed by users, reviewing and accepting posts and referring questions, as appropriate
- Respond to organizational communications by voice messaging, e-mail, written and live, as required.
- Respond to general information requests on episodic disabilities and employment
- Assist in the coordination of the national Episodic Disabilities Forum, a network of episodic disability Health sector NGOs, researchers, government representatives and academics interested in exchanging evidence and information related to initiatives for people living with HIV and other episodic disabilities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
The Service Canada Summer Jobs Program is intended to create summer job opportunities for young people aged 15 to 30 years who are full-time students intending to return to their studies in the next school year. Applicants must, therefore, fit these eligibility criteria. The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A university or college degree, diploma or certificate program in progress
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office
- Experience and ability to work with diverse stakeholder groups including people living with HIV and other episodic disabilities including mental health conditions, employers, clinicians, researchers, educators, associations, institutions and community groups, government and private sector
- Familiarity with HIV, disability and rehabilitation issues is a strong asset
- Excellent organizational skills including time management and ability to coordinate multiple tasks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including editing and proofreading skills
- Experience and expertise with computer based communications and social media
Please send by email only (no telephone or fax):
- A brief (maximum 2 pages) curriculum vitae outlining your education and work experience
- A brief (maximum one page) cover letter outlining why you are interested in and qualified for this position
Hiring Committee, Project Assistant
Web site reference: www.realizecanada.org
Application deadline: Monday June 18, 2018 at 5.00pm
Start date: Monday July 9th, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.
Realize is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from people living with HIV and other episodic illnesses.