The Elisse Zack Award
for Excellence in HIV and Rehabilitation
Realize is a national, multi-sector, multi-disciplinary organization, formed in 1998 to address the emerging need for a national comprehensive response to rehabilitation issues in the context of HIV. It is Realize’s vision that the daily lives of people living with HIV/AIDS will be improved in direct and meaningful ways through rehabilitation care, support, and services.
Through rehabilitation, research, education and cross-sector partnerships, Realize seeks to bridge the traditionally separate worlds of HIV, disability and rehabilitation. Realize promotes a comprehensive approach to HIV-related disability and rehabilitation toward improving the quality of life of people living with HIV. Our three primary mandates include:
(1) a coordinating and advisory role on issues of rehabilitation in the context of HIV;
(2) supporting and/or undertaking projects in rehabilitation in the context of HIV; and
(3) encouraging pan-disease collaboration to address issues experienced by people living with HIV and those with other complex episodic or chronic diseases.
Our priority areas are education, practice and research – with a view to implementing effective and relevant rehabilitation policies and programs across Canada.
Realize relies on and values its diverse stakeholders and their demonstration of leadership, coordination and communication in fulfilling realize’s mandate.
In 2008, CWGHR established the CWGHR Award of Excellence in HIV and Rehabilitation to recognize individuals or organizations for their excellence in the area of HIV and rehabilitation. Realize’s Award of Excellence seeks to highlight outstanding contributions toward improving the lives of people living with HIV/AIDS and to acknowledge those who embody Realize’s values and goals.
In 2014, the award was re-named in honour of Elisse Zack, a leading HIV advocate and pioneer, and our founding Executive Director.
Nominations for the Elisse Zack Award for Excellence in HIV and Rehabilitation are accepted for any individual or organization. Anyone may submit a nomination.
The Award Selection Committee, whose membership is determined by the Realize Board of Directors, will select the recipient of the Award. The Awards Selection Committee will consider and evaluate the following guidelines in reviewing the nominations and selecting the award recipient.
[Please note that this list is not exhaustive and nor does Realize expect that each guideline would apply to every nominee. Realize welcomes all nominations for individuals or organizations who have made contributions in the field of HIV and rehabilitation. Realize reserves the right to not present the award in any given year.]
- Demonstrated overall excellence in the field of HIV and rehabilitation;
- Dedication and commitment to enhancing the lives of people living with HIV/AIDS;
- Demonstrated collaborative or interdisciplinary approach to work in the field of HIV and rehabilitation;
- Innovation in the field of HIV and rehabilitation and a demonstrated willingness to push boundaries in the field;
- Achievements in education, practice and research that support the field of HIV and rehabilitation;
- Development of new knowledge or partnerships that impact on the field of HIV and rehabilitation;
- Promotion of awareness of and access to rehabilitation programs and services for persons living with HIV/AIDS.
Nominations for the 2021 Elisse Zack Award for Excellence in HIV and Rehabilitation will be accepted until July 23rd, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. EST and must include a completed nomination form ( The Elisse Zack Award for Excellence in HIV and Rehabilitation Nomination Form ).
The recipient of the 2021 Elisse Zack Award for Excellence in HIV and Rehabilitation will be formally announced at the Realize Annual Meeting in September 2021.
Nominations may be submitted by mail or email to:
Attention: Realize Awards Selection Committee
1240 Bay Street, Suite 600
Toronto, ON M5R 2A7