National HIV and Insurance Dialogue
September 27th, 2019 | Cody Hall, St. Paul's Bloor Street, 227 Bloor St. East, Toronto
Realize Auditors’ Report and Financial Statements for Fiscal Year 2016-2017 as of March 31, 2017
CWGHR Annual Report 2015-16; Author, CWGHR
Objectives of National HIV and Insurance Dialogue:
- Foster dialogue between insurance providers, community agencies and people living with HIV (PLWHIV) on issues related to life and health insurance.
- Identify insurance issues and opportunities impacting people living with HIV.
- Share current global practices related to life and health insurance for people living with HIV
- Discuss possible future strategies to address these issues in Canada.
Read more about our 2019 Forum Speakers
9:45 - 10:00
Breakfast and Registration
10:00 - 10:05 a.m.
Paul Curwin, Realize Co-Chair
10:05 - 10:15 a.m.
Setting the Stage: How did we get here?
Tammy C. Yates, Realize Executive Director
10:15 - 10:45 a.m.
What Science Currently Says? Bio Medical Outcomes for People Living with HIV
- Michael Bailey, Regional Health Education Coordinator, CATIE
- Dr. Michael Fanous, Pharmacist, medsEXPERT Clinic + Pharmacy
10:45 - 11:15 a.m.
The Social Outcomes for People Living with HIV in 2019
- Brian Ellison
- Jon Claggett
11:15 - 11:30 a.m.
Wellness and Networking Break
11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Global Strategies on Increasing Access to Life and Health Insurance for People Living with HIV
- Martha Grimm, Eligibility & Benefits Supervisor & Carri Comer, Business Development Coordinator, Washington State Department of Health, USA
12:15 - 12:45 p.m.
Current Global Practices by Insurance Companies
- Steve Wardlaw, Chairman, Emerald Life, United Kingdom
12:45 - 1:15 p.m.
Current Insurance Industry Practices in Canada
- Karen Cutler, VP Underwriting, Manulife
1:15 - 2:00 p.m.
2:00 - 2:15 p.m.
Presentation of the Elisse Zack Award for Excellence in HIV and Rehabilitation to Michael Bailey
- Representative from AIDS Committee of Durham Region to present award
- Other speakers to contribute their stories and congratulations
2:15 - 3:00 p.m.
Working Together: Interactive Panel to Discuss how the HIV Sector and Insurance Sector can Work Together and Learn from Each Other
- Panelists: Jon Claggett, Brian Ellison, Karen Cutler
3:00 - 3:15 p.m.
Translation and Interpretation
French, English and sign interpretation will be made available on an as-needed basis. The facility is wheelchair accessible.