An online course for academic staff and leaders in the post-secondary education sector
Today, almost two million people in Canada are living with episodic disabilities. There is also an increasing number of students with episodic disabilities in the post-secondary sector. The COVID-19 pandemic has posed additional challenges for students with disabilities and has taken a serious toll on students’ mental health. Knowing how to support students who experience episodic disabilities will assist you with the increasing requests for accommodation that have been reported by post-secondary educators.
This course will provide you with knowledge and strategies to help make your teaching more accessible and inclusive to students living with episodic disabilities. In addition, tips provided throughout this course may help to reduce your workload in the long run. This course is the result of several years of work to explore the impacts of episodic disabilities for students in the post-secondary education sector, adapted more recently to address the realities of a COVID-19 context. This course was developed with the input of academic staff, disability and equity offices staff, administrative staff, and students from all levels and program types.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify the unique features of episodic disabilities and recognize their potential impacts on post-secondary students.
- Identify accessibility barriers in post-secondary education faced by persons living with episodic disabilities, particularly within the context of crises like the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Understand accessibility standards and accessibility compliance requirements as related to your role and the role of your institution.
- Identify ways to implement accommodations for students with episodic disabilities.
- Identify strategies to improve accessibility in your teaching practice or institution.
- Identify solutions to make learning more accessible for students with episodic disabilities during widespread disruptions like the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Understand other ways you can help support students with episodic disabilities beyond the learning environment.
Once registered, you will have access to the course material for 10 weeks.
Prices: $265 non-members, $240 Realize members*
* Members must have a current paid membership with Realize. (Find out more about Realize membership.)
Group discounts for multiple registrants (associations, workplaces, etc.) are available:
2-5 people (10% discount), 6-10 people (15% discount), 10+ people (20% discount).
To arrange a group registration, please contact email@example.com.
To find out more about Fostering Inclusion and Environments of Support for Students with Episodic Disabilities contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.